Riccall Tennis club was originally established in 1928 at the time Riccall Institure was built and was originally situated behind the institute on two grass courts. Membership fluctuated, but fell into decline during the Second World War. In 1958 a team was entered into the York and District Tennis League, which was formed the previous year. In 1971 a mixed team was entered in the York and District League and a second team in 1975. During the hot summer of 1976 the grass courts suffered and never fully recovered.
In 1979 six and a half acres of land off Landing Lane was donated to the Riccall Sportsfield Association by Geoff Outhwaite and after much fundraising, three all weather courts were completed in August 1980. In 1993 the courts were refurbished and recoloured. In 2002 the courts were refurbished again and a fourth court was added.
Being close by to the tidal River Ouse, Riccall is most famous for being the landing spot of the Viking forces of Tostig and Harald prior to their defeat by the reigning King Harold at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066.
Although King Harold won and this particular Viking invasion was thwarted, there is little doubt that the battle left Harold's forces severely depleted and weakened and was thus a contributing factor towards the subsequent victory of William the Conqueror at the battle of Hastings just a short time later. The landing at Riccall thus played its part in shaping and defining one of the most significant events in British history...